First Post

 

*deep breath*

First off, I'm not sure if people are really even into reading these things anymore, what with YouTube (and podcasts) being so ubiquitous and there being so many great channels out there. But I'm not photogenic, and not really interested in mastering all that would be involved in creating a polished channel, and being completely honest, I definitely don't really have the time. But I do like writing words. So here we are. ;) I do hope someone discovers, enjoys it, and finds it helpful!

Secondly, sometimes I feel rather slightly presumptuous posting on this matter at all, since we're in the early days yet ourselves. But I know there are lots of other people out there in the same (or a very similar) position. A home educated graduate myself, I helped with finding and laying out a lot of study materials for my siblings, etc; and over the years I've had some deep conversations with other mothers figuring out how to do this thing in the trenches. And life with small folks and home education (or home schooling if you like to call it that -- we can discuss the terms later), is one of my very very very favoritest topics of all time. (In other words, I get very distracted on it. ;))

Since we're just starting out ourselves on this grand adventure, I haven't got everything figured out on the ground yet and I'm intending everything on here as a reminder to myself as much as anyone else. A journal of sorts. And it might grow and change as we do.

Home education is most definitely an area where there're all different strokes for different folks. And different things work excellently well for different families. But by the same token, what works fantastically for one may be all bumps and disasters for another. Each family is shaped uniquely by God with a very specific calling for His kingdom work, and that can take some figuring out.

And in the following I don't at all mean to imply that other methods/approaches are somehow subpar, but I will be tending to write on what I'm particularly passionate about and our family does have carefully specific reasons for pursuing this particular path.

So if you too are interested in exploring the idea of a wide ranging, intrinsic, (I hesitate to use this word lest the wrong connotations arise, so expect more clarification in future) relaxed yet fully intentional, invigorating, and thought out (dare I say, overthought at times ;P) way of life and path of education and discovery, then you've come to the right place. :)

Here's to the adventure!

Comments

  1. I AM EXCITED FOR THIS!! :D Even though I'm graduated and have no children to educate, I love hearing ideas and tips that may be helpful in my future. ;) And just hearing other homeschooling views and methods are fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie,
      YAAAAY!!!!!! I'm really looking forward to this and so excited that you're excited too! ;) And thank you for the follow! <3 It's such a grand new adventure and having my dear friends along means a Great Deal. ;D *hugs*

      Delete
  2. I'm in the midst of learning at home w/ my kids: two graduates (one college grad), and three more at home. So yay! I love reading about learning.

    BTW, I have been feeling the same about YouTube...and even thought about how quick and easy it would be to just say what I like, since writing it takes me days and days! But, nah...I won't do what it takes to master the video editing: I don't have the time, patience, or desire to learn. I like words, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth,
      Thank you for your comment and I'm so glad you're looking forward to reading more posts! And it's nice to know I'm not the only one who's had the Youtube v. writing debate. I tend to be a grinding perfectionist on the writing front too, so hoping this'll also be my place to get better at relaxing and just getting the words out there faster. (Here's to the endeavor anyway! ;P) Also wanted to mention I've really been enjoying your blogs as well! (Another fascinating point of interest -- it looks like we actually live in the same state, though a good day's drive apart, so I thought that was kinda fun. ;D) Anyhow, thanks again for commenting -- and looking forward to further discussions!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

"Our job as women -- and it's a phenomenal responsibility -- is to enflesh the weighty truths of our faith. If our role is to make truth taste, to make holiness beautiful, then what does that look like in the details? As a random example of this, take Christmas. Christmas is, of course, when God did ultimately what we women can only shadow. The ultimate enfleshing. At Bethlehem, God's Word became flesh and dwelt among us, the Consolation of Israel was born of a woman -- and that moment was so staggering that even the stars had to come down and see it. And then, every year, we celebrate that moment. We take one of the most difficult theological truths -- the Incarnation -- and attempt to show that truth through our celebrations. The men can talk about the Incarnation, church fathers can write important treatises about it, pastors can preach about it, theologians can parse and define it . . . but we women are the ones who make it taste like something. We make it smell good. How crazy is that? "And for my next trick, I will take Athanasius' De Incarnatione and I will say it with cookies and wrapping paper and cinnamon and marshmallows and colored lights and tablecloths and shopping trips and frantically-last-minute-late-night-Amazon-orders and ham -- and I will do it in such a way that my four-year-old will really get it, and it will send roots deep down into his soul where it will anchor his loves and his loyalties and shape his allegiances well into his nineties." from Eve in Exile by Rebekah Merkle