Book Review || Winter Fire: Christmas with G.K. Chesterton by Ryan Whitaker Smith

"Experience the warmth of Christmas through the winsome wit and wisdom of beloved writer G.K. Chesterton. This devotional -- perfect for the Christmas season -- includes selections of Chesterton's writings, accompanied with commentary, Scripture readings, and reflections. Be encouraged by Chesterton's insight, charmed by the Victorian-inspired artwork, and delighted by the traditional English recipes. Make Chesterton's poetry, short stories, and essays a part of your Christmas tradition! A festive celebration of childlike wonder..."

The official summary above pretty much encapsulates everything I was going to say, but -- as I'm here and ready -- I'll still take a stab at it. 

Fresh off the press, my sister sent me this for Christmas and it ended up being a major highlight of the season. I loved it. With thirty Advent readings, it has enough to cover the longest variation of Advent (i.e. when Christmas falls late in the fourth week), then it has additional short stories, essays, and poetry + old fashioned games and recipe ideas to take you right through the Twelve Days of Christmas, which is pretty much the order I followed this year, too, though I'm looking forward to planning ahead and trying the games out more next year. 

The Advent chapters were thought provoking. Chesterton's complex, inverted metaphors and word pictures are always a breath of fresh air and came at the quintessentially perfect time for me this year (thank you, sis! <3).

The short stories were vividly memorable. And the poetry... Oh, the poetry! It just sticks with you and has actually drawn me back to reread it a couple of times, pausing to turn over the delicious phrases, to hear them singing in my head.

To summarize: serious minded and packed with real jollity (the two concepts coincide), this stretched me and also produced a delightfully unexpected laugh numerous times.

So yep, altogether Advent 2023 turned out to be a remarkable season as I found multiple titles I plan to revisit yearly, this being one of them. Can't wait to pull it out again in December 2024!

(Note: Chesterton can be a bit of an acquired taste, though Whitaker does a good job providing suggestions in the foreword for how one might begin developing such a taste, so just consider this a public service announcement to take it slowly and sample / revisit over time if necessary! ;))

Comments

Popular Posts

"Our job as women -- and it's a phenomenal responsibility -- is to enflesh the weighty truths of our faith. If our role is to make truth taste, to make holiness beautiful, then what does that look like in the details? As a random example of this, take Christmas. Christmas is, of course, when God did ultimately what we women can only shadow. The ultimate enfleshing. At Bethlehem, God's Word became flesh and dwelt among us, the Consolation of Israel was born of a woman -- and that moment was so staggering that even the stars had to come down and see it. And then, every year, we celebrate that moment. We take one of the most difficult theological truths -- the Incarnation -- and attempt to show that truth through our celebrations. The men can talk about the Incarnation, church fathers can write important treatises about it, pastors can preach about it, theologians can parse and define it . . . but we women are the ones who make it taste like something. We make it smell good. How crazy is that? "And for my next trick, I will take Athanasius' De Incarnatione and I will say it with cookies and wrapping paper and cinnamon and marshmallows and colored lights and tablecloths and shopping trips and frantically-last-minute-late-night-Amazon-orders and ham -- and I will do it in such a way that my four-year-old will really get it, and it will send roots deep down into his soul where it will anchor his loves and his loyalties and shape his allegiances well into his nineties." from Eve in Exile by Rebekah Merkle